Sunday, August 7, 2016

On the Road - Farewell to Oregon


          

This state park is named for the place where the Oregon Trail pioneers said farewell to the Snake River as it made a bend northwards and the pioneers kept heading west. 



In this state park there is no wifi and limited cell phone service. My watch battery has died, my Fitbit watch battery is dead with the charger at home. A sign on the highway had said we were entering Mountain Standard Time, but this park is still in Pacific Standard Time. I struggle to know what time it is and then I decide it doesn't really matter! What a great feeling. 


While I'm lamenting our limited internet access and feeling cut off from civilization, I wander through the park and read the historical information signs.



Okay, compared to what the pioneers endured, I don't have it so bad at all! We have plenty of water, electricity, air-conditioning, food. We even have a satellite signal to watch TV. The pioneers were happy when they could catch fish in the river. Now excuse me as I go throw a load of laundry in our washer and grab a cold beer from our fridge. 😀


The weather is so extreme here. Take your choice of hot or windy during the day. Then as soon as the sun goes down, it's downright chilly. The stars at night though... What a show they put on! It's so dark and clear that the stars light up the sky.

Our second night here was incredibly windy. I mean RV-rocking windy. Like maybe we should pull in the slides on the RV so the awnings don't get ripped off. Thor proved how tough he is, surviving without a scratch. 

In the morning we loaded up with a steady warm wind still blowing. I can't help imagining being a pioneer, leaning into the wind, journeying onward. 


We say goodbye to Farewell Bend and I say "Farewell WIND!"

2 comments: