Thursday, March 9, 2017

Animalia

Sometimes my blog topics just conveniently fall into one category. Today it is animals. So bear with me while I have some fun with this.  

The RV park where we stayed in West Palm Beach while visiting Astros Spring Training was located adjacent to Lion Country Safari. Online reviews of the RV park said the roar of lions could be heard from the park. We were skeptical of this but sure enough, the first day there we heard definite animal noises, not lions though, more like rhinos. It was the next day that we could absolutely hear lions roaring. That was neat! They could be heard in the mornings and around 4:30 pm when the park closed. Feeding times maybe? 



On our drive back up through Florida we stopped by to see our friends - the Wolf's. It was great visiting with them. They took us to the nearby town of Tarpon Springs for some yummy fresh seafood. We learned that Tarpon Springs was the Sponge capital of the world in the early 1900's. Diving for sponges was a bigger industry in Florida than citrus or tourism at that time. Did you know the sea sponge is an animal?

Our dogs have it a lot better now while we are on the road. They used to be corralled behind a child gate so as not to disturb Captain Chris as he manned the control deck. They are now accepted in the space between our seats and are much happier.



Frog City RV Park near Lafayette, Louisiana was a layover point on our way home. We had dinner nearby in Rayne, Louisiana which is billed as The Frog Capital of the World. The catfish and crawfish were delicious; we passed on the frog legs.

At Chef Roy's Frog City Cafe

While walking through RV parks, I like to note the various names of the campers and motor homes. This is something my daughter and her boyfriend taught me when they glamped with us one time. Along with the adventurous names like Sprinter, Bounder, Pioneer, and Columbus, there's peaceful names of Solitude, Reflection, Destiny. 

Some RV names conjure up the Space program: Challenger, Endeavor, Discovery, while some describe idyllic places: Hideout, Chateau, Homestead, Montana. I can't believe I haven't seen one named "Texas". 


Some names describe scenic images: Open Range, Vista, and Big Country. Some have a solar theme: Sunseeker, Sundance, Sunrise.


Of course there are sleek-sounding animal names like Wildcat, Puma, Puma Den, Cougar, Eagle, Mallard.

Ours is a combination of rugged and sophisticated: "Thor Tuscany".


I hope my animal musings have put a smile on your face and I ain't lion!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne. I like writing. I just hope I can keep finding topics.

      Delete